Weather is getting colder and we are here for it! We’ve dotted down some things to do in Swellendam to beat those winter blues.
- Go for a round of golf at Swellendam Golf Club. Apparently it never rains on a golf course, so you’re all set. Rated as one of the best 9-hole golf courses in the country, with a variety of difficulties, this course will definitely put any golfer to the test.
- Hike up Duiwelsbos and enjoy spectacular views and waterfalls. There is a view different hikes to choose from. Make your way to Marloth Nature reserve and take your pick.
- A visit to Drostdy Museum. This former government building, an architectural treasure in itself, is now a museum containing some impressive artifacts.
- Photograph the Dutch Reformed Church. Rumour has it, it is the most photographed church in South Africa.
- Visit the Under the Oaks Market every Saturday at Grace + Merci in Swellendam.
- Swellendam Trails is free to access. Get your bike and make use of all the mountain bike trails Swellendam has to offer.
- Sulina’s Fairy Sanctuary will make every child’s and even grown ups fairy tale dreams come to life.
- Make a daytrip to Viljoensdrift, a wine farm in the Robertson Wine Valley. Book a river cruise, fill your picnic basket with sumptuous deli delicacies and enjoy your picnic during your trip down the river.
- Whale watching season is here! During the winter months, Southern Right whales can be spotted along the south coast from Cape Town to Mosselbay. De Hoop Nature Reserve, only 50km from Swellendam, is one of the world’s best land based whale watching areas.
- Stroll through Swellengrebel Street beneath the lush oak trees and take a look at the wonderful shops and have a bite to eat at one of our lovely restaurants.
Enjoy these spots and things to do and make the most of your trip.